Monday, October 1, 2012

Bildungsroman

I found myself at my usual post; slumped upon a computer chair, hands resting lifelessly on the keyboard, and a brain resting lifelessly in my head. I had to write my post tonight. Tomorrow was consumed by rehearsal and Spanish review for my exam the upcoming Wednesday. I was determined to write my blog tonight whether my brain was willing to cooperate was out of the question. But, as per usual, I was at a loss as to where I should begin. Being the creative being that I am, I channeled my source of infinite imagination - google.
Typing " Persepolis, themes and symbols", I discovered numerous usuless sites along with a new word.

Bildungsroman.

Wow.

"That sounds like fun" I thought. The description of it proved more interesting than the phonics of the word.
According to Mariam-Websters Dictionary, Bildungsroman is a novel about the moral and psychological growth of the main character. Persepolis is a Bildungsroman. Every story within her book is a moment in which she experienced moral or psychological growth. With this new found knowledge came inspiration, my writer's block defeated.

Persepolis: the Poem

It happened when I was but a child
no older than the age of ten.
That my innocence was defiled,
and never to be repaired again.
My world crumbled faster
than cookie shared by two.
How quickly it became a disaster
seems too impossible to be true. 
Chaos consumed all my life
and turned it upside down,
 most of it was the strife
when the revolution came to town. 
I didn't understand
and I couldn't comprehend;
how people made, demand after demand
only to have a new append. 
I lost my uncle along the way
and I lost my home as well. 
I've lost so much, I cannot say,
my life had been an eternal hell.
 But I've grown from all my trials.
I even overcame the worst.
The lessons learned make them worthwhile
even those I didn't understand at first.  
I apologize for the length of this poem,
it may sound a bit garrulous,
but my story must be known,
this poem is Persepolis.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment