Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Not So Heavey Memoir

"The story is what saves us. And that is why, this soul can rejoice"~ James Carroll, An American Requim.

I have been able to make two connections between the memoirs of Maya Angelou and James Carroll: their power to heal and their deep material. Touching controversial topics like rape and war, both memoirs also  take place in the shadow of some of the greatest events in the 20th century. Mentioning WW2, the depression, and the socioeconomic status of various ethnicities: gives these memoirs a greater signifigance, because they offer insight to a personal account of that time. Although both reads have been intriguing to say the least, they've been very heavey in material. Thinking ahead about the memoir our class must write, I began to ask myself  "Do I have a story of memoir merit?" My life was not lived within an interesting moment in our nations history. I did not face any hardships nor encounter any prejudices nor anything of any importance. I tried to think of moments in my life I could use , but in order for one to know how to heal, they themselves must first be hurt. I've never experienced anything so traumatic that would need me to learn to heal.
So in defeat, I ventured off to the land of procrastination- Facebook.
Upon my venturing, I happend across a link. It was the story of a man, and a simple random act. Although light in material, it did have the power to heal. This man, by no means experienced anything as extreme as Angelou or Carroll, but his story had the power to heal and inspire people, including myself.

I thought that I didn't have a story worth telling, but I was wrong. Although I have not undergone anything as traumatic as Carroll and Angelou, I still have a story that has the power to heal. Because of this man's story, I am inspired to share my own. Funny thing is, he doesn't even remember it.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVCBrkrFrBE&fb_source=message

1 comment: