Monday, November 26, 2012

I know where I am....I am lost

Last blog! So, how do I close out the semester? Why not another narrative?
Yes?
YES!
Hurray for narratives!!!

     On August 16th 2012 when I arrived on campus, I knew I was ready for my  four years at Saint Mary's. Confident and cocky, I marched into McCandless like I was a queen returning home to her castle, absolutely fearless to the crocodiles lurking in the mote below.(BAD JOKE ALERT) What was there to be afraid of? There were no hungry carnivores lurking around Saint Mary's, it was an all girl's school.
      Fear is caused by a lack of understanding, and if there is one thing I understood, it was how my life was going to be. I thought I had everything figured out. I knew exactly what occupation I wanted, what I wanted to major in, what clubs I wanted to do, and who I was going to be by the time I held a diploma in my hands.
Then welcome week arrived, and I slowly began to realize that I knew absolutely nothing.
         At activities night at Notre Dame, I was overwhelmed. I felt like a tiny bee in a swarming hive. Everyone was buzzing with excitement, zooming back and forth from booth to booth. I had no idea there were so many possibilities available, and I'm still getting my zimbra account bombarded with emails from clubs I've signed up for, but never went to. By the end of the first month, I had completely abandoned my original major. By fall break, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. By Thanksgiving break, I had no idea who I was anymore, let alone the person I would be at the end of this roller coaster.
        Now it's the end of my first semester, and I only know one thing - that I'm completely and utterly lost. Everything I thought I knew, is completely irrelevant now. I don't know where I am, and I don't know where I'm going. But it's kind of expected for someone to become lost somewhere they don't know. That's exactly why they are lost, because they don't know where they are. I guess that's why I'm lost, it comes with starting life in a place that you haven't lived all your life, with people you've never met from other places that you haven't grown up in. Being removed from home, I knew I'd eventually get lost around campus, but I never expected to get lost somewhere inside of myself.
         Although there is something nice about being lost, you have to make your own path in order to find your way back. Right now, I'm lost from myself, but these four years are going to be my path, a path that I will call my, chirstened with my own footprints, and this path will lead me to the person I am meant to be.

TO BE CONTINUED...
(the second portion of the blog will be completed once Maria Welser is relocated, she has gone missing).

No comments:

Post a Comment